Summer of ’13
If you spend enough time at a golf course you will see and hear some remarkable things. On occasion you could spot a celebrity and also learn some facts that you may not have known and even some that you don’t need to know. Keep in mind that I am simply repeating things I have been told and I assume that they are factual, while others I actually witnessed.
The following experiences occurred during the summer of 2013:
* A retired doctor living in Lenox for the summer told me that his partner delivered Derek Jeter in a Pequanock NJ hospital in 1974.
* I was exited to learn that there are 79 assorted road signs on Route 20 from the East Lee Package Store to Greenwater Drive, the entrance to Greenwater Pond.
* A playing partner recalled playing in Yogi Berra’s celebrity golf Gala in NJ. He asked Ralph Branca why he did not throw a curve ball to Bobby Thompson in 1951 playoff game. If I could ask Branca a question it would be “How could you let your daughter marry Bobby Valentine?”
* Nicest man I talked to was Dan Lauria, the bartender on the TBS hit show “Sullivan and Son.” Lauria also played the leading role in the play “Lombardi” about the legendary Green Bay Packer coach which ran for 10 months.
* A call to a pro shop came from a golfer saying his cart would not move. When the staff went to rescue the gentleman it was discovered that his golf cart was hung up on a tree stump.
* I learned that it can be dangerous to text while driving a golf cart, especially when there are trees around. That gentleman also called in a “cart down” from his backside.
* If you are on the 3rd tee at Cranwell you better be prepared to answer a question like “How do I get to Tanglewood?” (usually in your back swing).
* Governor Deval Patrick was spotted on the first tee at Cranwell. Very nice man.
* A retired football coach from Long Island talking about his friendship with Joe Paterno is always a good listen.
* A lady golfer requested a set of rental clubs. She was asked “right or left handed?” Her response, “I’m not sure.” You may find that comical, only because you didn’t play in the group behind her.
* How does an impatient golfer say good morning? How about, “Can I start on the back nine?” Don’t they realize that the first hole will also be busy when they come off #18 ?
* A twosome reporting to the first tee with two rental sets of clubs, 2 dozen Pro V 1s, 2 bags of tees, and some new hats from the pro shop ask “What are those blue and white things over there?”
“Those are the tee markers.”
“Oh what are they used for?”
Too bad these folks couldn’t be paired up with the ambidextrous young lady mentioned previously.
*Upon further review, among the street signs on route 20 is one that encourages the motorist to engage in smokeless tobacco, “DIP.”